The Best Ways To Multiply The Extraordinary Leadership in Your Organization
Extraordinary Leaders are those who understand that in order for theorganization to grow and make the maximum impact that it can, the leadershipbase in the organization must grow first and grow strong enough to hold thegrowth. If this does not happen, the organization will either not grow orwill grow and then crumble because there is no solid foundation ofleadership. The effort to multiply leadership must be ongoing andpurposeful. Here are some ways to get your leadership base growing strongand wide!
1. Get Current Titled Leaders Growing in the Right Direction. If you want toincrease the level and effectiveness of your leadership right now, then thefirst thing you should do is start with those who already have a title ofleadership. You will find that many of the people you have as "leaders"really aren't leaders at all so you have your work cut out for you! Sit downwith your leadership team and let them know that you are going to be pushingthem to grow in the area of leadership. It is imperative that the titledleaders get on board. If they don't or won't, then they have to go. Noeffective organization can continue with dead weight in leadership positions
2. Establish a Plan of Action for Leadership Development. Once you havedecided to move forward with leadership development, you need a plan. Iwould suggest a one-year plan of reading and activities. I am currentlytaking a group of 17 people through a 12-month (one meeting per month) planof leadership development. Each person has to read the required book for themonth. Each person takes responsibility in a given area. Each person willgive a verbal presentation to the rest of the group on an aspect ofleadership. They are accountable to another person in the group for theirdevelopment. This is the plan of action. If you need help setting this up,feel free to contact me and I can help.
3. Identify Untitled Leaders. You also want to identify the leaders you havewho may not necessarily have a title of leadership. Know this though, theyare leading! They are influencing the direction of your company ororganization. They are leading and influencing others. Find out who they areand invite them into the official leadership process. How do you find these?Here are a few ways: Notice at your meetings who the other people look tofor their opinion. That is the leader. Ask people who they think hasleadership potential. A few names will come up over and over. They are yourleaders. Ask people to tell you who has the most influence outside of thetitled leaders. Again, a few names will come up over and over. They are yourleaders. Now, get them on board with you!
4. Develop a Culture of Leadership. Call your leadership development groupsomething like "Emerging Leaders." Get t-shirts made up. Have special eventsfor them. Get them involved. Honor their commitment and growth. Above all,let it be known throughout the organization that you value leadershipdevelopment and you are willing to invest in people that way. Not only willyou invest in them, but you will honor them and make it fun too!
5. Enable Leadership Attempts: Let them Try, Let Them Fail. This is wheremost groups fail. They will let people try, but they won't let them fail.Once they fail, they take responsibility away from them again. Leadershipdevelopment must be a long-term commitment and this means you will have toput up with some short-term failures. As you do, the leaders you areinvesting in will be growing and learning how to do it right in the longrun. Those are the people who will grow your organization for years.
6. Establish Mentoring: Watch Me Do, Do with Me, Do Alone, Teach Another.Get the current leaders to teach the newer leaders. Have them take peoplealong to do their everyday activities. Invest time in them, developing therelationship while they see how it is done. Then let them do some of thework themselves while you are there. As that gets better, then it is time tolet them do it by themselves. Tell them you can't make it that day but theycan go make the meeting without you. Once they have mastered the task, havethem turn around and mentor others. This way you are developing more andmore layers of competent, Extraordinary Leaders!
7. Show the Benefits: Both Individual and Corporate. The fact is that peoplewill do those things tat will bring them benefits and rewards so go all outto show them what they will get from it as individuals and as a group. Showthem that leadership development will help them make more money, have betterrelationships with co-workers and have better job satisfaction. Show themthat leadership development will show itself in all areas of their lives,not just at work. Show them how the whole organization will grow, becomemore efficient, accomplish the goals they have established and really make adifference in the world around them. Show them the benefits and you will gettheir hearts for leadership!
About The Author:
Chris Widener is a popular speaker and writer as well as the President of Made for Success, a company helping individuals and organizations turn their potential into performance, succeed in every area of their lives and achieve their dreams.
To see Chris "live" at the upcoming Jim Rohn Weekend Event as he speaks on the subject of Secrets of Influence go to http://Chris-Widener.InspiresYOU.com/ or call 800-929-0434.
Leadership is best defined by the quality of your thoughts, decisions and actions. It is also underpinned by the quality of the tools you use in your role. Be seen to bring true leadership to your organization and act with the authority that it brings to you.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Dick Durbin: Trump's negotiation and leadership skills found wanting in shutdown negotiations - Washington Examiner
Did Trump Criticize Obama for a Lack of Leadership During the 2013 Government Shutdown? - Snopes.com
Dont be Afraid to Lead!
In most aspects of human activity, the pendulum of fashion swings back and forth between extremes, passing briefly through the point of balance on every swing.For a while, we were told leadership was all about setting clear objectives and holding people accountable.
Professional Organizations: Join or Fold?
All of us join professional organizations for a reason--a friend belongs, we need to for credibility, etc. Many times we let years slide by and we don't stop and review those reasons.
How to Become a Great Leader & Improve Your Leadership Skills
A great leader is able to inspire his/her workers to work harder. Instead of firing workers, great leaders know how to fire his/her worker up to do their best.
Choose To Become An Encourager
Rationalize Success Away
I was invited to do a Leadership workshop at a well known Fortune 100 company out in New Jersey. The all day event was geared toward their new crop of interns.
The Compassion Paradox
Effective leaders are comfortable with paradox. They can call on skills and work in ways that seem to be contradictory.
Mentors and Coaches: How to Be A Great Mentor
Though out your career you may be asked to become someone's mentor. Mentoring is a rewarding activity for both you and the mentee - it is a great way to give back while sharing your experiences and wisdom.
Two Leadership Traps: How To Avoid Them and How To Get Out Of Them (Part 2)
Here's how to get out of, or avoid, the "I need ..
Leadership - L.P.B It!
"Dissatisfaction and discouragement are not caused by the absence of things, but the absence of vision."- AnonymousThis article in for anyone who is currently unsure, unknowing, on-the-fence, and/or otherwise "searching" for the answer to whether or not he/she can be an effective leader.
Leadership and The Dirty Work
The airline, Jet Blue, has been featured in many magazines as a new company that has hard great results and success so far. A lot too has been mentioned about the challenges they face ahead and about the culture they created at the start and are working hard to foster now.
Leadership Activity: How Leadership Agenda, Strategy, and Behaviors Shape Your Success!
"Forward, as occasion offers. Never look round to see whether any shall note it.
Managing Monsters in Meetings - Part 4, Quiet Participants
There are many reasons why someone would decline to participate during a meeting. For example, the person may feel reluctant to speak out, may disagree with the approach endorsed by others in the meeting, or may just be tired.
A Blueprint for Leadership - How to Be a Better Leader
If you were to build a house, you would begin with a blueprint. This blueprint proves useful because it contains more than directions on how to build a house.
Give Your Valentine A Very Special Gift - Empowerment
Delegating is a commonly misunderstood concept. Delegating is not about dumping problems or chores you dislike doing onto the shoulders of others, it is an invaluable tool for "motivating and training your team to realize their full potential.
All You Really Want Is Feeling Good
If I asked you what your goal in life is, what would you answer? Well, the answer would be as diversified as people are.Many will answer that making money is the primary goal.
It Begins Like This
Jonathan was drunk multiple times before ever completing elementary school; his father fed him bourbon so Jonathan would resist less while being sexually molested. On the night his mother was released from jail, Jonathan rode eagerly by his father's side to pick her up.
Leadership - Push vs. Pull?
At your next staff meeting consider leading your team through the following discussion.This lesson is focused on getting people to think in terms of effective leadership.
Leadership For Deep Results: Without Them Are You Wasting Your Leadership And Your Life? (Part One)
I've challenged all leaders I have worked with during the past two decades to achieve "more results faster continually."They can get on track to start achieving such results not by working harder and longer but by slowing down and using Leadership Talks on a daily basis.
Wisdom From The Rock
He grew up in Brooklyn, the son of an ex-con father and with a Mob-connected uncle who earned a living as a loan-shark. He credits his father continually saying, "Never lie, never steal," as an influence in his making a better career choice.
The Leadership Talk As A Living Hologram
The hologram is a three-dimensional photograph made on a flat surface with laser beams.The three-dimensionality of such an image is not the only remarkable characteristic of a hologram.
|© 2016 Definition Of Leadership & Career Consulting Limited